Thursday, February 4, 2010

Thirty-four weeks four days

The baby has officially engaged: meaning he's head down in my pelvis, ready to be born. The midwife told me I'll probably be on schedule for my due date, but with him riding a bit lower, this means I'm not getting such horrible heartburn or breathlessness. He still likes to kick me in the ribs, though. Now and again it really makes me wince.

My friend Tracy gave birth to her little boy early this morning and her mother emailed me a few photos. I have noticed it's hard to tell which parent a newborn looks like: they mostly just look a bit squashed (understandably!). He looks really cute anyway, and I am looking forward to Tracy's next email--hopefully I won't have to wait too long! From my experience, newborns fill out a bit within a week, so I'm also looking forward to more pictures.

I'm still walking the dog in the mornings, but only as the weather permits. Today I was too scared to go out because it's icy and snowy again. We went out yesterday, though, and I also walked to the midwife later that afternoon. I think once Franklin's born I should make a goal to visit the library once a week, too. The local library is right next to the doctor's office: a nice easy trek. I'm not a particularly active person, and I don't always rejoice in walking the dog, but I keep at it for health reasons. Reason enough, really.

I had a long chat with my mother and told her about the baby's positioning, so she's going to buy her plane ticket now. We plan on her coming for three weeks, starting the week of my due date (March 14). She says she's bringing a changing bag and a baby carrier. My only specification is that the bag not be too big and the carrier last up to 12 months. She also asked if his room was ready for him; I told her not exactly... He'll be sleeping in our room until he outgrows the basket, or maybe even longer. So at least six months. Still, I've got his clothing and toys and books in his room, and the basket has bedding for him.

Even three days ago, I could tell the baby was up quite a bit higher. I even knew which day he dropped (two days ago), because I couldn't sleep for hours that night due to the pressure on my pelvis. Last night Partner was very solicitous and rubbed my back, hands, and feet, and I was able to sleep nearly the whole night. We have been sleeping in separate bedrooms because I'm too uncomfortable to share a mattress (the slight sag caused by his weight drags at my legs and hips). And because I get up four times a night to pee. And because I get annoyed at very small things, like him breathing on my neck. It's a hard life.

No comments:

Post a Comment