Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thirty-eight weeks four days

I had Partner take this picture of me today. Who knows when Franklin's going to decide to pop out? Since last week, lots of people have asked me how long I have left. In fact, no one has asked me if I'm pregnant until this past week; now strangers and neighbors alike are commenting. I guess my answer should be: any day now.

I feel quite swollen in my legs, feet, and to some extent hands. My ankles have been swelling slightly for the past few months: I don't think I actually have ankles any more. I took a wet washcloth to bed last night to wrap around my hands to try and keep them cool, with moderate results.

On Monday (four days ago) the midwife sent me to the hospital with high blood pressure. My blood pressure has been elevated though within normal limits during the entire pregnancy; this was the first time it was high. Once there, they monitered it and the baby, and took some blood. Everything was ok; in fact my blood pressure steadily dropped as they monitered it. I ended up discharging myself without waiting for the doctor to do my review. The nurse wasn't happy with my decision, but after I signed a disclaimer, she let me go.

I wanted to go because we had tickets to Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet and it started in half an hour. Even so, we missed everything up until the balcony scene, but at least we got to see all the bloody bits where everyone dies. On the way back to the car, I turned my ankle on uneven pavement in the middle of the theater crowd and went sprawling; how embarrassing--I couldn't get up! Richard and some random man grabbed my arms and hoisted me up. When I told my friend about the incident, she mentioned it happened to her mother once and she chose the phrase "beached whale." Much as I hate comparing myself to a cetacean, I agreed with the sentiment.

I have since had my blood pressure confirmed as back to normal, and the fall didn't hurt the baby (or me--I've got a lot of padding).

No comments:

Post a Comment